Life as a blogger can be so damn tough sometimes.
Like I said, tough.
Paired up with my blogger in crime, Chocolate Suze, we were greeted by Tim, our very smiley and friendly surfing guide for the day.
Originally from Tahiti, Tim reminded me how laid back, relaxed and chilled surfers actually are. And why for a highly-strung gal like me, it was a good thing I married one.
Soaking in the sunny Saturday morning, we went for a drive around the famous Eastern Coastal Walk, visiting the neighbouring pristine beaches of Bronte and Tamarama.
All the while, Tim also explained how to do a surf check. You know, look for waves just like real surfer dudes. Über cool.
This happened to be a big tip for me because I never understood why Mr Surfer often drives endlessly from beach to beach, staring intently at the ocean. I thought he was being a big softie daydreamer. I totes get it now. He’s just looking for his perfect wave.
We headed back to the surf shack to get ourselves “(wet) suited up” and ready to shred some waves.
To be honest, I was certain we were going to freeze our tatas off. But working like 3 extra layers of fat, er… I mean skin, the wetties kept us toasty.
Then, came the real test.
I could very well have been forced to eat my words at this point. Yeah, I was married to an avid surfer. Yeah, I’ve surfed in Hawaii, Noosa and Byron Bay. But I had never paddled out on my own wave. Mr Surfer always pushes me on to one. This time, Tim promised that he’d teach me…which of course, would make me a fully fledged Bondi Surfing Girl. Woot!
Surprisingly, the water wasn’t cold. In fact, it was refreshing.
And while I was a little wobbly at first…
I did it!
And did it again!
I still got it!
A big morning surf like that calls for an even bigger lunch!
Tim took us to a local eatery and while watching the waves that we had just shredded minutes earlier, I tucked into this:
Behold, the lunch of surf champions.
Despite, being a Sydney eastern suburbs local myself and knowing a little about getting on a surfboard, there’s nothing like touring your own neighbourhood from the eyes that know it differently. And rather having to constantly rely on Mr Surfer, thanks to Tim, my levels of surfing confidence has shot up!
The sense of freedom from riding a wave is truly indescribable. Doing it all at one of Australia’s most iconic beaches makes it even more memorable.
I reckon everyone’s gotta try surfing at least once in their lives.
Valued at $289, the 4 hour surfing tour includes:
- An exclusive group lesson
- A Surf lifesaving club tour
- A casual beachside lunch at a famous local spot
- Incredible sightseeing and photo opportunities based on instructors personal knowledge
- Time to swim, surf, relax and catch some rays Bondi style.
- The offer will be redeemable until 7th of November.
All you have to do is:
- Like With Some Grace on Facebook
- Subscribe to With Some Grace
- Leave a comment on this post, telling Mama G: Where’s your favourite locally famous hang out spot? And what makes it famous?
Terms and Conditions:
▪ This giveaway is only open to Australian residents
▪ Closing date for entries is 10 pm AEST Tuesday, 10th of September.
▪ The winners will be contacted via email on the following Wednesday.
▪ If the winner does not reply to my email within 24 hours, another winner will be chosen.
▪ Entries will be judged on merit and decision of the winner will be final.
Joining Essentially Jess for the one and only IBOT