Being a first generation Australian with an Indonesian background, I grew up seeing two very different worlds.
The first being filled with opportunities, privileges and wealth.
The second? Not so much.
My mum is living evidence how tough a life can be for a woman in a developing country.
Being the eldest of 8 with a father who went missing for years during World War 2 and was feared dead, it was my mum’s heavy responsibility to keep the household afloat.
At the crack of dawn, the chores would start with walking long distances to the rice field to do some planting. Returning back home, she would hit the dirt paths again to collect wood and clean water for the day.
My mum’s a trouper. Those tired old legs of hers have definitely done their distance. Yet, there are still many women and young girls in developing countries doing similar labour intensive tasks for survival.
It’s an honour to take part in CARE Australia’s Walk In Her Shoes Challenge. A group of us from Digital Parents, including my awesome buddy, Jess, will be walking 10, 000 steps (6-8 kilometres) on Tuesday, 19th of March to raise funds to help women and girls and their communities to earn incomes, access healthcare, get an education and overcome poverty.
The plan is to raise $2,500 as a team which will buy a water pump system for a community.
If you’d like to help us reach that goal and make a donation (doesn’t matter how small), please click here.
Every dollar counts as does every little step.
1. Follow With Some Grace.
2. Sign up to the awesome Digital Parents community ( if you haven’t already done so). DP was created by Brenda Gaddi who happens to be the creator of FYBF. She’s also created 4 gorgeous kidlets. In case you’d like to know. Or maybe not. But we’ll share that info just the same.
3. Add your post URL to the linky. Please only link up one post.
4. Grab the funky FYBF button and post it on your sidebar. Help spread the blogfloggin love.
5. Visit the blogs of your fellow FYBF’ers and share the comment love.
6. Share some more comment love. It’s proven to make your wrinkles disappear…overnight. #truth