And just like that…I’m back in the work force, baby!
Could the universe spin any faster?
In the whirlwind hours of my first day, here are some discoveries of what it takes to get back in the corporate game but also some pearls that other part time Mama friends have passed on:
- Prepare two outfits the night before – one that you actually plan to wear and the second that you’ll end up with because WTF? When did those work pants shrink down a size (or three)? Because surely I didn’t put that much weight on in the past five plus years.
- The best accessory I can wear to the office is a smile. Maybe it was just the nerves talking but I smiled at everyone – the CEO, the lady at the photocopier, the photocopier…
Fake it till you make it…and your cheeks get sore.
- As I mentioned on Instagram, I didn’t feel guilty that I didn’t have mother’s guilt because, well, I love my boys. They know I love them. I’m a much nicer mum to be around when I’ve done something for myself and they know that too.
- A fellow twin working Mama friend said, “There’ll be days when you think, ‘I’m all over this’ and others where you’re not but it’s all part of the fun”
- Another working Mama friend forwarded this gem:
“You’ll no longer worry about the stupid, insignificant office politics because you just don’t have the time or the energy to! You just want to do your job, do it well and pick your babies up on time!”
Oh, and to answer all those lovelies who were concerned about how I had just donated 2 HUGE garbage bags of corporate clothes only weeks before getting this new job…I regret nothing!
Those suits and I have long past our decorous time together. I couldn’t squeeze into them anymore, anyway.
And er, hello? Shopping!
Got any other tips/pieces of sage wisdom to add to my list?
Name one incident where you faked it till you made it? And noooo, I’m not talking about that time *ahems*
1. Follow With Some Grace.
2. Sign up to the awesome Digital Parents community ( if you haven’t already done so). DP was created by Brenda Gaddi who happens to be the creator of FYBF. She’s also created 4 gorgeous kidlets. In case you’d like to know. Or maybe not. But we’ll share that info just the same.
3. Add your post URL to the FYBF linky. Please only link up one post.
4. Grab the funky FYBF button and post it on your sidebar. Help spread the blogfloggin love.
5. Visit the blogs of your fellow FYBF’ers and share the comment love